Source: Wish Magazine (now defunct), March 2007
3/4 cup margarine, softened, plus 1tbsp for greasing pan
2 cups frozen cranberries
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup cranberry or orange juice (I used fresh squeezed orange)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped bittersweet (dark) chocolate, melted
1/3 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate, melted
3/4 cup plain cream cheese, softened
1/4 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and line bottom and sides of a 9- x 13-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a small pot, combine cranberries, 1/4 cup sugar and juice. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop.
- Strain cranberries, let cool and reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, set aside.
- Beat 1 cup sugar with butter until fluffy. Continue to beat and add 3 eggs. Add melted chocolate and mix well. Use a spatula to fold in flour mixture. Spread into prepared pan. Spoon prepared cranberries evenly over top.
- In a small clean bowl, beat cream cheese with remaining 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in remaining 3 eggs. Add orange zest and reserved cranberry liquid and mix well. Pour over chocolate and cranberries and gently swirl mixture with a knife.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Chill before removing from pan and cut into 1-inch squares.
I used an 8″ square pan and it took an hour to bake and set.
Makes 24 squares. Nutrients per serving: 210 calories, 13g fat, 3g protein, 23g carbohydrates, 1g fiber