Note: This recipe is a keeper. The results tastes like restaurant quality.
For chicken & marinade:
- 2.2 lbs (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast cut in 1″ – 2″ cubes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped onion (about 2 medium-large)
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 cups diced no-salt-added canned tomatoes
- ¾ cup cream
- 2 tbsp butter
Combine all ingredients in a zip-top bag or shallow baking dish, massaging the marinade into the chicken. Let stand at room temperature while you prepare the sauce, or marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add onions and slowly cook until golden, about 20 minutes, reducing heat if they are getting crispy or browning quickly.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in garam masala, paprika, cinnamon and salt; cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes; cook 2 minutes, then add cream and carefully puree using an immersion blender.
- Return sauce to saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add chicken to the sauce, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until cooked through, about 12 minutes (remove a couple of pieces to make sure they are no longer pink inside). A gentle simmer is required to gently cook the breasts so they don’t become tough, and you don’t want to overcook them.
- Stir in butter, taste and add more salt to taste.